Saturday, August 9, 2014

Job/Roles in the ECE Community: Internationally

I chose the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) as my first international organization because I remember it from a previous course. The "UNICEF has worked with a broad range of partners at global, regional, and country levels" (UNICEF, n.d.). This website was filled with a bunch of activities, events, and the press releases. I seen where it had a blog and it provided you with resources and statistics. There were several  job opportunities, but none of them interest me. I was displease because the UNICEF did not recruit volunteers directly or does not provide scholarships, fellowships or grants.

I chose the Save the Children as my second international organization as I stated before because I remember it from a previous course. "Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm" (Save the Children, 2011). You can make a one-time donation, monthly donation, or ways to give like make a gift donation, make a memorial gift, and sponsor a child along with other ways to help. We can get involved by being an advocate for children, becoming a fundraiser, and spreading the word or joining the cause. It were numerous of jobs and careers currently available, but none of them interest me because you are required to be full-time and I am not ready to leave the United States, so meantime I might visit or give a donation.

I chose the International Step By Step Association because I have never heard of it. "ISSA is a vibrant network that connects professionals and non-profit organizations working in the field of early childhood development and their mission s implemented through three main pillars of action: equal access for all children; promoting high-quality and professionalism in early years services and empowering parents and communities to be part of the children’s development and learning" (International Step By Step Association, n.d.). You can become a friend and join as a member or donate to this organization. I did not see no job opportunities, but I did notice that there is going to be an ISSA 2014 International Conference beginning October 10-12, 2014 in Budapest, Hungary and it is called "Creating a society for all: re-considering early childhood services."

References:
International Step By Step Association. (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2011, from http://www.issa.nl/index.html

Save the Children. (2011). Retrieved from http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.6115947/k.8D6E/Official_Site.htm

 United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF). (n.d.). Retrieved November 28, 2011, from http://www.unicef.org/


1 comment:

  1. LaCasa,

    The first two organizations that you shared are two that I have used on several occasions to support me in my research. They both are great organizations that support and share their love for children. Walden has provided us with some very good websites that we can take and use for future use.I know that you said you were not ready to leave the country for a year, but if the opportunity ever came up to work as an intern for a summer or something, I feel that it would be time well spent. I have attended schools in Guatemala and Portugal and they both inspired me so much. They were vastly different from each other but also from what we know and do here. Don't close doors that might be being opened for you!

    I appreciate your post and wish you the best as you complete this journey!

    Thanks,
    Amy McCoig

    ReplyDelete