Saturday, June 7, 2014

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practices

I feel like there are consequences that you should expect for the children and their families with whom you work while you experience specific "-ism(s)".For example, if a child sees an interracial couple or parents at school and tells another student that the mommy and daddy is different colors, but they suppose to be the same color. Another example would be a child who has a Black father and a white mother, but when he/she see some Black woman at school and says "I did not know women are Black " which also represents sexism because it was a discrimination against women. The examples of "-ism(s)" that I provide could be happening in my personal life.

I had a personal experience with religionism when I use to work for The Boys & Girls Club of the Miss-Lou and it was two Jehovah Witness's boy who would come majority of the time, but this particular day we where having a Christian Religious Choir that was made of teenagers from different areas of cities/towns who were coming to perform for our children, so when the oldest boy found out that it was a religious group, he then pulled me to the side and said my little brother and I cannot participate. I asked him why and he said that our parents will not allow us because they were a different religion. I had to take both of the boys and put them into another room.

2 comments:

  1. LaCasa, I enjoyed reading your post. I am wondering about the instances you described of children questioning the appearance and makeup of interracial families. Could it be simple curiosity that prompts children to ask these questions? I feel that, as educators, we can help children to understand differences by talking about them in a matter-of-fact way. If a child has not seen an interracial family before, or a Black woman in a certain role, it may be just the newness of their experience that is prompting interest and questions. We can help children to understand and accept all people with openness if we expose them to diversity with an attitude of tolerance and respect. I appreciate the wisdom of your personal perspective on racism and religionism and am glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaCasa,
    This is interesting as my youngest son and I just had this conversation yesterday. He was upset that children were making fun of another child because his mom was white and his dad was black. They were calling this child names and it truly bothered my son. He did not know how to handle this situation and could not believe that the children were making fun of him for this. He said, "It was not this child's choice." "He had no control over who his mom and dad were or what color they were." "He told the children that God made each of us different for a reason and that they should not be questioning or making fun of him or any other children that had a black and white parents." I like that he stood up for this child and felt comfortable enough to respond to the situation.
    I have had similar situations with children in the classroom not being able to participate in certain activities because of their religion. Sometimes, depending on the activity, I have struggled with the fact that they can not participate. More specifically, the Pledge of Allegiance. This is something that I still have to deal with when I have a child who can not participate due to their religion.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Amy McCoig

    ReplyDelete