Saturday, May 17, 2014

Creating Affirming Environments

While I was imagining opening my own Family Child Care, my setting would look like a large group home that has a large number of children from the ages of four to six years old (16 children maximum) in which a provider and assistant is present. The rationale for my choices is because I do not want my home to be crowded with cribs, high chairs or booster seats, play pens, and strollers. I tend to be organized and I do not like a cluster of things. My elements that I think I might want to include are: covers on the electrical sockets, smoke detectors throughout my home especially in the rooms where the children are at, a first aid kit, mats for the children to take a nap and rest, a various of age-appropriate toys, games, books, and outdoor equipment and toys. One reason for the use of these items would be to make my Family Child Care Home child safe. Another reason is for my home to be properly equipped for child care which is vital and necessary for the proper growth and development of the children in my program. The first way that I will strive to ensure that every child and family feels welcomed and respected is by accepting and understanding that they are unique and they all learn differently. Another way in which I will strive is to provide a home environment that is fun, but educational as well while receiving the love in which they deserve. A third way for me to strive is for them to develop and mature emotionally, physically, intellectually, and socially through their unique needs and wants which will be met as they grow into individuals. My fourth way of my striving is to provide a safe, well structured, caring, socially active, and a fun environment that is the foundation to being successfully and preparing every child for the future. Lastly, I will strive to provide a happy, fun, safe, caring, and educational environment which builds on children's strengths and weakness while building a strong relationship with their families. I might utilize the ideas from the free play area, the couch, the dolls, and dramatic play area from the tour of Adriana's care home featured in the media segment (Laureate Education, Inc., 2011). The aspects that I found in the readings and media segment that inspired me to create "my" environment the way I envision it was that both of them provided similarities and differences of diverse, anti-bias materials such as books, music, DVDs, puzzles, drawing materials, blocks and legos, and wall hangings (Derman-Sparks & Olsen Edwards, 2010, p. 52 and Laureate Education, Inc., 2011).

References
Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J. (2010). Anti-bias education for young children and ourselves. Washington, DC: National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
Laureate Education, Inc. (2011). Strategies for working with diverse children: Welcome to an anti-bias learning community. Baltimore, MD: Author

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great job describing your Family Child Care! It sounds like you have a wonderful ability with organization. I think children and families would benefit from your ideas. Nice job.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. LaCasa, I like the fact that your environment for children has safety as a first priority. As parents, our concern is that any childcare setting be completely safe. Your emphasis on an organized environment will also help children to build self-regulation skills and manage their space. You have noted the importance of supporting children’s social-emotional development in your family childcare program. I think your understanding of the uniqueness of every child will be the first step in creating an anti-bias environment that affirms all children who come to you. -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LaCasa,
    You have interpreted the question real good. I like the different strategiesthat you have and indeed if you should own your own family child care then its without a doubt that your organization will run properly in catering to the needs of children and their families. Well said and done. Keep it up

    ReplyDelete