Friday, April 25, 2014

What I Have Learned

One hope that I have when thinking about working with children and families who come from diverse backgrounds is that we all need to realize and accept that God made us all different for a reason and we can learn to respect and value people regardless of their race, physical abilities, and the language that they speak. Another goal is that teachers need to address and introduce diversity in the classroom, get to know the children and their families, and learn to appreciate differences.

One goal I would like to set for the early childhood field related to issues of diversity, equity, and social justice is that parents/teachers should teach children at an early age to recognize their own biases so that they can see the world as anti-bias and then they can achieve their aspirations, dreams, and goals while feeling very confident that whatever they are trying to accomplish in life is possible.

To All Of My Colleagues:
I would like to thank you all for sharing your blog and discussion posts as well as your personal stories. I have learned a lot throughout this course thanks to Dr. Klein for her feedback and resources that will help me to improve in areas where I am weak in. Now, I am more aware of my biases and discomforts that I will definitely be working towards in the near future to change if it is necessary. I wish you all the best in your educational and life journey. May God Bless!!!!

1 comment:

  1. LaCasa,
    I love the goal that you set for yourself. I think that this is a goal that we should all seek to make for our students as we teach them. We could be a great example to them as we seek to teach them about differences and how we need to appreciate them. I wish you the best of luck on your journey and I hope to hear from you again. You have shared some great information in your posts and discussions and I appreciate your responses to mine and others. We have so much that we can learn from each other and information that can be used in dealing with our own situations.
    Thanks,
    Amy McCoig

    ReplyDelete