Friday, August 9, 2013

Sharing Web Resources

Answer to the five questions:
  • Follow some of the outside links that you have not yet explored. Where do they lead?
The outside link that I chose was titled Early Childhood News and Resources. It lead me to various experts and parents who write articles for this site on a number of topics. These topics includes: Parents, Activities, Childcare, Special Needs, Health, Social/Emotional, Humor, and Literacy.

  • Thoroughly search one area of the site. What do you find?
The area that I thoroughly searched was childcare because this was one of the topics that are continuing to be discussed throughout this course. I felt like since I was getting my Master's in this field, why not find out all that I can so that it can prepare me when I do get my job in this field. I found out that this site consisted of Emergent Literacy (newest site), Mommy Perks, Weiss Business Solutions, Personal Child Stories, Parenting Tips with Dr. Sally, and Music Guide. I browsed all of these sites and thought that they had important educational information that will help me with expanding my knowledge.

  • If you receive an e-newsletter, follow a link related to one of the issues you have been studying. What new information is available?
I did not see no where on this site where there was an e-newsletter, but it did have those sites that was related to one of the issues that I have been studying. The new information that is available is that the Early Childhood News and Resources Music Guide, it is a part of the Mommy Perks family of sites. At the Mommy Perks, we believe that music should play an integral role in every childhood.

  • Does the website or the e-newsletter contain any information that adds to your understanding of equity and excellence in early care and education?
Yes, the website contain numerous of information that adds to my understanding of equity and excellence in early care and education. In the Personal Child Stories, there were articles in which some of them were related to PCS books while others are on Parenting, Play or Literacy focus.

  • What other new insights about the issues and trends in the early childhood field did you gain this week from exploring the website and/or the e-newsletter?
The new insights about issues and trends in the early childhood field that I gained this week from exploring the website is that there was a topic called The trouble with childcare reports (Commentary) that was published on Monday, January 17, 2011. It was about an author name Shara Lawrence-Weiss who arrived at home and when she came to her office to work, interestingly, she saw a Google Alert about a new study done on childcare by the University of Illinois. The Psychologists have pinpointed a few factors which involved in kids who grow up to be aggressive and "popular" (i.e. the "mean kids").

Here's what they say:
Psychologists found that both tough children spent a larger proportion of time in center-based care, experienced lower quality care, and had mothers who were significantly less sensitive to their emotional needs than model children.

She appreciate this study very much. This case study seems to have concluded what my own years of experience have indicated: three primary considerations to account for: The amount of time spent in childcare, the quality (or lack of) of childcare and the attention (or lack of) given at home before and after childcare. I really had fun exploring this website because it just kept linking me to other sites that helped me to learn new information and I did not want to get off, but I finally got to a stopping point and exited.







4 comments:

  1. LaCasa,
    I also came across the same website you did and found it very interesting. The study that was done at the University of Illinois was one that I wrote about as well. I really think this article would be great for parents to read that leave their child in care for long hours. It really does make a difference. When I get to know my class every year I am pretty good with finding the kids that spend a lot of their time in the hands of a childcare provider. I understand this is some parents only way of doing things, but it is still important for them to see the possible side effects!
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear LaCasa,
    It is interesting to see how different websites can "link" to other sites, isn't it? When companies link up together, they usually support one another or share a vision. I suppose I have been wondering about the effects of children who spend a lot of time in childcare centers. There are many factors to consider as well, including elements that make it a high-quality center. I would think that the higher the quality of the program, the better the child outcomes. Did it give any tips to parents who do have their children in childcare for long hours? Perhaps spending quality time together during evenings and weekends helps? Talking and having real conversations might be helpful as well.
    The sections on this website seem very interesting, such as "Humor." That is an area we don't see often! Children really are funny and maybe sharing stories is a fun way that parents/teachers can relate to daily life with young children.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the study when they say the three considerations to account for are the amount of time spent in childcare, the quality of childcare and the attention given at home before and after childcare. I have found that parents who work full time and put their kids in before and after care try to compensate for the time lost in other ways. I feel that this affects children in the long run. As a teacher, you can see that these kids are crying out for attention.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi LaCasa,

    Thanks for sharing about the three primary considerations. Although it seems so fundamental and obvious, there are tons of children in the world that do not get to experience one or two of these requirements and in many cases all three may be fully absent. I think that us EC professionals totally soaking this kind of information and resource gathering will help us reach more children and families educating parents and peers along the way to make these considerations for good and effective nurturing of the children.

    Thanks,
    Divya

    ReplyDelete