Sunday, January 26, 2014

Communicating Differently With Other Cultures

Yes, I find myself communicating differently with people from different groups and cultures. My communication with them would be on different levels because everyone do not communicate the same way. People express or show their communication through verbal and nonverbal skills and cues such as gestures, eye contact, facial expressions, blushing, body position, and tone of voice. I tend to communicate with my children and adolescents, colleagues, community members, co-workers family, friends, peers and etc. in a low language (slang) which is less formal when we are hanging out, but when it comes to a professional setting I try to communicate in a high language.

Based on what I have learned this week, the three strategies I could use to help me communicate more effectively with the people or groups that I have identified are: (1) Ask, (2) Listening,, and (3) The Platinum Rule. Ask, there is no better tool for effective communication. If something strikes you as funny or inappropriate, if you feel the other person is neglecting you or is offended, simply ask him what you can do to remedy the problem. Grievances are like silence- broken when they are spoken out. Listening can help your career, saves time and money, creates opportunities, and strengthens relationships. The Platinum Rule accommodates the feelings of others and you have to understand what drives people and recognize your options for dealing with them.


1 comment:

  1. Asking questions is so crucial I think in communicating effectively with others. When I meet people for the first time, I ask a million questions and continue to ask questions long after I know them. Great post!

    ReplyDelete