Saturday, June 1, 2013

"My Connection to Play"

My Connection to Play

Quotes that I feel that summarize what play represented for me in childhood:

1. “When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all.” 
― Theodore Roosevelt

2. “Play keeps us vital and alive. It gives us an enthusiasm for life that is irreplaceable. Without it, life just doesn’t taste good” Lucia Capocchione

People supported play when I was younger in my childhood because they would allow us to go outside and play from sun up to sun down. We would play with our cousins, family, friends, and siblings in the neighborhood, but was not allow to argue and fight because if we did, then we would get a but whipping and had to apologize to each other. When I went to my grandmother's house, sometimes she would sit on the porch and watch us play. They supported us by being our cheerleaders when we would play different activities in the yard such as basketball, dodge ball, and kickball. I can hear them cheering us on while we run around those bases. They would even help us out by telling us when to run and when to stay on base.

The way I feel about play today is different from the play in which I engaged as a child because now-a-days children likes to play on video games and stay in the house and watch television all day. When I was younger we use to make up games to play outside and we believe in playing outside. My hope for younger children with regard to play is that children will learn how to not grow up so fast in life and stay as child as long as they can.

My thoughts regarding regarding the role of play throughout your life and/ or the role of play throughout childhood and adulthood is that play is very important because it helps us to become who we are. Play helps us to define our self and it helps us to interact with other people.




2 comments:

  1. LaCasa,
    It sounds like you were involved in many good games, activities, and play time as a child. Years ago, we used our bodies and minds (imagination) to play- now, children are not always using either! That is scary! Hopefully we can get our children back to what is healthy and good for their development!
    Thanks!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello La casa, I really enjoyed your quotes because they are very important quotes to live by. By reading your post I noticed you had a lot of fun experiences with friends and family. It seems like play has really made me realize why children should focus on being "just kids" because maturity too fast can affect you academically.

    ReplyDelete